Sunday, March 20, 2011

World Down syndrome celebration a great day!

I am so excited to announce that the Down syndrome Association of South Georgia had their first outing yesterday to celebrate World Down syndrome day.  I started getting together with 2 fellow moms about a year and a half ago after meeting them through our special needs outreach group here in town.  We would hear of a new mom who had just given birth and would ask them to join us in a get together.   7 families later and we were ready to reach out to our community and the surrounding communities.  My fellow mom and friend, Erin, said we just had to go out there and just jump in with both feet, so that is what we did!  We decided to have a celebration at McKey park and invite the community.  Erin got our information into the paper and off we went!

Yesterday was a beautiful day.  Perfect weather.  Not a cloud in the sky.  Temperatures in the high 70's/low 80's.  Living in the deep South, this is the weather you appreciate all year long.  We know long, hot, muggy days are ahead in a few short months.  We couldn't have asked for better weather. 

The turnout was great!  I met several new faces yesterday.  Down syndrome was represented from ages 2 months-37 years of age.  We mixed and mingled and enjoyed each others' company.  We had a balloon release at the end of our celebration to honor our children and all the other people in this world who have Ds.  To the families who agreed to help me by bringing anything I asked for and for helping to invite and get the word out to other families, thank you. 

World Down syndrome day is actually tomorrow (3/21).  For those who don't know, this day was picked because of our family member having 3 sets of the 21st chromosome.  That is why you may hear Trisomy 21 as another name for Ds.  The day was picked as a way to celebrate, honor and promote acceptance in all people who share an extra 21st gene.  My daughter is worthy of this day and so much more.  Everyone has a gift to bring to this life we all live and love.  I have never been more certain that I am to help be a voice for Ds.  My daughter is one of the faces of Ds and my heart and soul is filled with love for those who have Ds.  I hope our voices and actions will help others to see  that there is more to Ds than they ever knew possible!


Happy World Down syndrome Day!!   

Katie and Kiley



 Now, my friend Erin took much better pictures than I did (and probably hundreds more than I did), but I am going to attempt to share a few I took on my little point and shoot camera. 
Eslea and Emily
Mary Nell and Joy
Nathaniel
Maggie and Scott
Maggie and Katie
Trying to get everyone together for a group shot!
Anna and Thanayi
Maggie and Kelly



The beautiful sky during the balloon release.  I couldn't see when I took this picture, so it was just a random shot.  I got some of the balloons in the picture regardless.

Renee


Lily


Brian and Griffen


Yummy cupcakes in the Down syndrome colors!















 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment