Friday, October 28, 2011

31 for 21: Day 28 The Very Hungry Caterpillar

Today was character day at Katie’s school.  Katie’s class dressed up as part of The Very Hungry Caterpillar.

 Ok, I took this image from Amazon.com if you couldn’t tell!  Thanks Amazon!  I love Amazon too.

 

I have to admit, I have never read this book.  I knew it was a classic, but it had not been a book that I had ever picked up before to even glance at it.  I was at the store the other day and I did read the book once I knew that was what we were going to do as a class project.  Very cute book and I will have to get it for Katie as a Christmas gift.  I will write in it and tell her a story about her class and this day on the inside cover. 

So, I am not at all a crafty person.  I love crafts, but they are always bought.  The only thing that I have ever really gotten into is scrapbooking.  Now I keep pinning all these pins over on Pinterest with the great hopes that I will do some of these crafts!  It doesn’t matter if I don’t.  I like looking at them all regardless.  Now I have made a few food items from there and I can’t wait to try some more of the recipes I have gathered.  Anyway,  back to this story….

The paper came home with a list of possible suggestions on what Katie could be out of the book.  A leaf, a strawberry, a watermelon, an ice cream cone, a cake, an apple and the cupcake which she was,  along with a few other things I can’t remember.  I told Kiley we had to do the ice cream cone or the cupcake.  I googled images of homemade costumes thinking how am I going to come up with an outfit!  Not this un-crafty girl.  But….the debacle over my son many years back in kindergarten not dressing up for the Fairy Tale ball or  something like that still lingers with this momma.  I  will have to you the story about this someday, along with a few others….like the time I forgot to pick up Blake on the last day of school that same year as the fairy tale ball and the school calls me.  As soon as I hear my name on the overhead hospital paging system, I jumped up from my cafeteria chair and ran out of the hospital!  I knew what I had done right at that moment.  Needless to say, he was the last child there.  How embarrassing!  Oh well….stories of a failed momma another night.  Back to this story…..

I went to work and told a few people what I was going to try to do this past weekend (make a costume) because I was looking for some suggestions on how to do the costume.  Well, I am saved that night.  My friend sends me a message that they have cupcake costumes on sale at Old Navy for the grand total of $12.50!  I knew what I was going to do first thing in the morning!  And VIOLA!  The cupcake she was, courtesy of Old Navy.  Now, I would have loved to have made some of the outfits I saw such as these, but I happily took the easy way out. 

 

I got home this evening and I see that Katie’s teacher has posted a video.  I copied all of these images from her video, so thank you Mrs. Amy.  I can’t tell you how much I love her teachers and their para pros.  I can tell they genuinely love our kids. 

 

image

Katie looking so cute sitting with the scarecrow earlier in the week.

 image Watching with a little skepticism in her eyes as another child is getting his hands dirty.

 

imageimageimageKatie looks like she didn’t really like this. Her faces is saying yuck!  Good sensory stimulation Katie—I love your hands in this!

image

 

imageMrs. Marge is the apple, Mrs. Amy is the caterpillar, and Mrs. Cathy is the watermelon.  Now they are crafty!

 

image

A picture of the class today.  Please excuse the red blurs, but I do not want these children’s faces posted without their parents permission. 

imageimage

Going for a class walk.  Not sure where to, but of course they needed to parade themselves around.  They are too cute not to let everyone see their handiwork.  

 

image

I just met this little boy on the left a few weeks ago.  Very sweet.  The one in the middle is wonderful with Katie.  He loves her and I love when he says her name. 

imageimageimageimage

It looks like they played some great games too!

 

image

I would say my bug had a wonderful time these last few days!  What a wonderful story that came to life today for The Very Hungry Caterpillar!

Note to self, why did you get the 2t-3t costume when you know she wears 4t and it was available for purchase!? Duh! The cupcake liner kept riding up on Katie---momma thinks you were adorable regardless.

Gearing up for a nice, relaxing weekend as we go into the final days of October.  Other things were planned, but a great offer came up, so plans were changed and we are relaxing.  I’ll share those details later.

2 comments:

  1. The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle, sure brings back happy memories. What a great book. I like how Katie's school dressed up. You've got to check out Carle other children books. Ryan's favorite as a child was Brown bear Brown bear what do you see?and Polar Bear Polar Bear what do you hear?, The Very Busy Spider and one about the firefly. We could recite them by heart. Katie looks like she had a great time. Such adorable fall pictures. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is the cutest cupcake ever!

    ReplyDelete