Monday, October 17, 2011

K is for Kind and Kindness 31 for 21: Day 17

 

Wherever there is a human being, there is an opportunity for a kindness. ~Seneca

You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around. ~Leo Buscaglia

kind

adjective, -er, -est.

1.of a good or benevolent nature or disposition, as a person: a kind and loving person.

2.having, showing, or proceeding from benevolence: kind words.

3.indulgent, considerate, or helpful; humane (often followed by to ): to be kind to animals.

4.mild; gentle; clement: kind weather.

5.British Dialect . loving; affectionate.

When was the last time you showed some kindness to someone?  Remember when Random Acts of Kindness was all the rage?  It still is the “in” thing to do you know!  Don’t you love that feeling that you get when you genuinely do something out of the goodness of your heart?  You expect nothing in return.  No acknowledgement of the deed, no hurrahs through the bullhorn, no ticker in Times Square announcing that you just made someone’s day.  Don’t you love that feeling of euphoria that you are going to make someone's day?  And really, kindness towards someone else can just be in the quick message of I am thinking of you today via text, the old fashioned card in the mail, a quick phone call, picking up a coke when you get one just because you want to share,  and taking a moment to ask someone about how something in their life is going among other things.  I certainly think I can improve in the area of carrying out simple acts of kindness to others.  I think I am too quick to get into the details of my day to just remember that the goal of simply being happy with where I am and trying to be a better person can get away from me.  How about you?  Find someone to share something with—whether it is a scripture that made you think of them, a joke that you know they will love or just a quick I am thinking of you note.  Your kindness meter will thank you!

Speaking of kindness---I don’t think I can say it enough, over these last 3 1/2 years, I have been bombarded with kindness since my bug has been born.  Fact about Ds, our children are not all loving and kind every minute either.  They have personalities and get mad and upset just like everyone else.  They can throw tantrums too.  Just a fact folks.  Gotta keep it real.  Although I can say with 100% accuracy, my sweet girl is the definition of joy.  So, even today, 3 1/2 years later I still find so much kindness sent our way concerning my girl and even in them asking about Blake too.  I have been lucky enough to meet some very big hearted people in my life.  You know, the people who always remember the details you share with them and they always ask about you and those details every time they see you.  Those are the people I aspire too.  Several people come to mind.  They are dealing with sickness and stress, yet it never fails that your details mean so much to them. 

And on yet another note…not having anything to do with kindness, but I am outraged.  I saw this video today of a 2 year old child being run over and left in the street to die.  People walking right by and no one doing anything to lift a finger to help this girl who was bleeding massively in the streets.  What has our world come to?  Why all this dang suffering?  Why are people so cold and unfeeling?  Why have we stopped valuing life?  What did this little girl do to deserve someone’s uncompassionate views and unfeeling heart?  My heart goes out to this child and their family.  They don’t think she will survive her injuries.  I pray that God will touch this family with his healing hands.  I just pray for the souls of so many lost people out here in this world.  The good of this world has always prevailed over the bad, but sometimes my heart hurts so much for all the injustice out here that I am ready to just go home to be with Jesus.   Of course I think of how many people do not value my daughter’s life and I am extremely saddened by this.  I know that she is judged as less than by so many.  People will look at her and never give her a second glance or thought.  If they could just take the time to listen and believe me when I say that I am blessed in ways I never thought possible by having her in my life. Thank you Lord for you kindness in blessing my life, even when I don’t always see the good. 

Kindness, like a boomerang, always returns. ~Author Unknown

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said, Donna....and you are that person you described to me....that goes out of their way to extend kindness....you are a blessing!!!

    ReplyDelete