Monday, October 11, 2010

31 for 21: Day 11 Hurry, Hurry, Hurry!

Hurry up and wait!  I am sure you have heard that phrase before.  Do you ever feel that you haven't got a moment to breathe?  We are hurrying  to this place and hurrying to that place.  Hurry and eat your breakfast, its time to go to school/work.  Hurry to get to work because everyone in creation is going to school/work too and you only budgeted 15 minutes to get there, not 20..  Hurry and clock in so you won't be tardy and written up by your boss.  Hurry and do your work because there are all kinds of people depending on you to get it done.  Hurry and get the day over with so you can hurry home to pick your kid up from school.  Hurry and get home so that you can eat dinner, get the homework done, and get ready for bed.  DVR your programs on TV so that you can hurry through your TV shows; wouldn't want to waste precious time watching any commercials.  Hurry and get to bed so that you can get 6 hours of sleep so that you can wake up and do it all again!  Ever felt that way?  Have endless days, weeks and months like that?  When did we become a nation that always had to be on the go?  And why?   When do you stop and really relax and go all out and let your hair down?  Do you let your kids have a down day?  Do you let yourself have a down day?  I do have busy days, but I certainly do not have this kind of day every day.  I won't let it happen. 

Kids and babies have a way of slowing you down at times.   Mentally and physically.  I let Katie feed herself and some days it can take a solid half hour+.  One half hour of just letting her take her sweet time eating her way.  I let her lounge around in the bath tub almost every single night because she absolutely loves her bath time.  Sometimes I am thinking of other things I need/should be doing with my time, but I can't get back this time that I have with her now.  So my hurry up and wait just gets up and goes quite a bit.  It is a fact that those with Down syndrome have developmental delays.  To what degree depends on the individual.  I love being able to slow down while my Katie hurries to do the things she loves.   My Katie loves to hurry up and get outside so she can swing and play.  She loves to hurry up and run to the bath to enjoy her time in the water.  She loves to hurry to the TV to watch her Signing Time DVDs.  She loves to hurry and get into the kitchen to get her favorite snacks.  She loves to hurry and twirl around in circles so that she can fall over in laughter.  So, some hurrying is a great thing.  A wonderful thing to enjoy.  Don't just assume Ds equals slow because it is all in how you look at things.  Pick and choose what things you want to hurry up and wait for.  You have probably heard the quote "Enjoy the little things,  for one day you will look back and realize they were the big things."  I am so thankful to realize what all the little things mean already and my little one has me hurrying to soak up every minute of this wonderful life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment