Tuesday, October 5, 2010

31 for 21:Day 5---Christianity,Characters,Change and Cheesus

I am in love with the TV show Glee.  I love the story lines and the singing.  Tonight's show was about spirituality.  One of the main characters sees Jesus in his grilled cheese--and voila!  You have Cheesus!  The writing on this show is incredible.  I lol several times in every episode and usually have to rewind my DVR every week just to hear the music again.  Two of the characters who have small recurring parts happen to have DS.  Seriously, I would love this show without all the diversity they showcase, so it is an added bonus to have them on the show.  Tonight I cried when Sue talked about how she stopped believing in God because she prayed all the time for the kids to quit making fun of her sister.  At the end of the episode she asked her sister (who has DS) if she believed in God.  Her sister replied that God doesn't make mistakes.  I know I have heard that line (and I do believe it) so many times since K has been born.  I love that so many people do believe in a higher power. 

The topics tonight touched on all kinds of hot topics in religion.  I love it because it is relevant and kids are watching and loving this show.  Change happens one step at a time.  We can breakdown the stereotypes of what DS is and so many other things through all the mediums available to us in this day and time.  How many people hate change?  Why are we so resistant to change?  I know the word change has come up a million times since I had K.  I think about how she has changed my life in ways I never would have imagined.  How many times do we just sit back and just let things be because we are afraid of the outcome?  I remember telling one of my friends many years back about faith and stepping out on faith.  Sometimes you take a step and you don't know where it will lead you.  One of my favorite poems is by Robert Frost....

                                                  The Road Not Taken

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.   
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.    

Your choices can say a lot about your character.  Are you traveling down the road you were meant to?  Have you made choices that you wish you could take back?  Its never too late to go down a different road and make the changes that could make all the difference.  Thank you Glee for showing life in all the many different forms it comes in by having an incredible diverse cast of characters.  Thank you for continuing to bring awareness to DS.  You rock!

No comments:

Post a Comment