Friday, October 29, 2010

Day 29 of 31 for 21: W is for weary, no not really, W is for wishes and let's skip x,y, and z!

I figured if I pulled that I'm tired bs again you guys might start calling my bluff on it!  I keep wanting to call it a night, but I will press on. 

So last night, I didn't get to finish my wishes post.  They have the Wishes finale at Disney World several times a week after the parade at night.  This show has been going on for several years.  I can't remember when they changed the finale to the Wishes show, but man, the few times I have seen it--I am speechless.  I literally stand in awe and just feel like a kid again.  The first time I saw the show I got extremely teary eyed and it has been that way ever since.  I stand there and remember how magical I always felt when I entered Disney World.  As I have grown up, the magic for me has never gone away.  Sure, I see the trash cans now, the cranky kids, the rude guests, the massive crowds, among other things.  I can remember my first ride on Space Mountain, the teacups making my dad sick, the trip when we forgot to pack our underwear, just so many memories being made there.  So Disney is a fantasy.  The best kind of fantasy.  Of course my ultimate wish is a week-long trip down to the parks staying on site in a deluxe resort with the best upgrades possible and then when I was done there, hop onto a Disney cruise ship for another week!  Too much syrupy goodness for you?

Okay, so we all have wishes (those would be our wants) and we all have needs.  My wishes vary from supersized dreams to simple requests.  My simple wish is to sleep in.  If we took that thought a bit further it would be to sleep in and then wake up to breakfast in bed.  Of course the bed I slept in had freshly laundered sheets when I slipped into it, and I would awaken to the smell of muffins, fresh fruit, grits with cheese, eggs and bacon.  This would lead into a day of lounging around in my pj's reading a book and watching a movie or two.  A more elaborate wish would be to have a house with double the square footage and a housekeeper.  But those are material wishes. I know I have way too many of those types of wishes in the storage of my mind, but you know that is not where I am going with this post.

My wishes for Katie and Blake....wow, where do I start?  I think that I am no different than most parents when I say that I wish so much for my children.  I want them to stay healthy.  I want them to be kind, thoughtful children and adults.  I want them to care about others and love with all their heart.  My wish is for them to be productive citizens in their communities.  I want them to treat people with the respect they deserve and get that same respect if it is so deserving to them.  I want them to love their country, love their God, love their family and friends with abandon.  Those are just some of the things I want for them. 

We could go deeper with other wishes of what I want such as the eradication of poverty worldwide, no child abuse, no wars, no crimes, that we didn't have such things as orphans, that every person knows true love at least once, this list could go on and on.  Of course this must be what heaven is like.  There could be no other perfect place except for there.  I wish I knew what the reasoning is for all of the suffering here on this Earth.  I certainly am asking the big man on campus this when I get there. 

Keeping it simple, my wish for Katie would be that she is fully accepted just as she is.  That we stop making fun of those who don't match our definition of what is perfect in their eyes.  My wish is that we won't have to fight for the right to have them included in normal activities.  My wish is that her voice and opinion will matter someday, that she is valued as a person just because she is one.  I think we  are making progress.  As they say at Disney, a dream is a wish that your heart makes..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment