Friday, October 15, 2010

Day 15: 31 for 21 Leadership

Are you are born leader or one who was made to be a leader?  I find myself at a point in this journey with Down syndrome where I feel I am needing to step up and bring people together in our community.  Do I have what it takes to lead a support group?  I have been asking myself this question many times in the last month.  I have sought opinions from others.  I have debated the pros and cons of taking on a leadership role.  Someone, somewhere has stepped from the same place that I am at now.  I have always been content to sit on the sidelines and cheer.  I think about the undertaking it would require and would I be able to go the distance.  Would I make a difference?  Some people thrive in the leadership role.   Somehow I find myself using a different t word to describe  what I feel--terrified!  I want to help those who are coming behind me in helping them adjust to a world that many are not used to.  I want people to know they aren't alone.  I want a new mom to be able to pick up the phone when she needs to talk to someone who has been there and done that.  I want moms and dads with older children to help guide us into the future.  I know support groups are not for everyone, but I want there to be one for those who need it and want it.  Is this what I am called to do?  I am still trying to sort everything out, but I do know I have a passion for helping my daughter live her best life and maybe this is just another step along the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment